Anna's directions turn out to be precise, and it is not long before Omar locates the skin-bag man named Hinrick.
Hinrick turns out to be a older man with a cleancut chin, and a muscular build. Wearing only a tight pair of brown shorts, and a bright blue vest, he turns at Omar's approach and watches with a little too much interest.
Hinrick grins and walks forward a few steps, extending a hand to Omar. "Welcome!" he says in a surprisingly deep gruff voice. "Name's Hinrick! I'm guessing you are here to check out my skin bags!" Hinrick winks at Omar once and then quickly vanishes into his hut. A few moments pass, and he comes out with an assortment of finely constructed carrying bags with strong leather straps.
Hinrick elbows Omar and speaks in a lowered voice, "The trick is in the sewing. Don't matter how good the skin is that you are using if you can't make them stick together!" Hinrick bellows out a loud laugh that gets the attention of nearby villagers, some of whom smile, and others who shake their heads.
Hinrick slaps his hand down on the pile of bags. "You can take away any one of these for a silver piece." Hinrick looks at the fish rack on Omar's back and laughs out loud again, this time startling a couple of children playing nearby. "No offense, my friend, but that thing you have on your back looks most uncomfortable. You may find that one of my skin bags lain across your shoulders will be much more accomodating, especially if you plan on swinging that big sword of yours around!"
Monday, May 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Bammit followed Omar, naturally. While Hinrick tries to cause an earthquake with his deep bursts of merriment, Bammit peruses the bags with furrowed brows and occasional thoughtful grunts.
"I've seen better," he mutters to himself, "made by the Dwarves, of course, but these will most definitely do."
Hinrick frowns at Bammit, and then leans forward to point at one of the bags. "See this seam here? You'll not find better workmanship this side of the mountains!" Hinrick glares at Bammit for a few moments more, and then smiles real big before bursting out in laughter once again. He grabs a large mug containing some opaque liquid (alcohol? juice?), and chugs a couple of swigs before setting it down again.
Hinrick smiles broadly. "Tell you what, take four bags, and I'll only charge you 3 silver. That'd be enough for all of you, assuming that halfling is travelling with you." Hinrick looks back and forth between Bammit and Omar. "Not sure what you'd need rubbing grease for..."
Yeah, stupid eye. I think its nearly fully healed now, so I've got to decide whether I should buy new lenses, or take a chance on scratching my eye again with the old ones... I'm leaning towards the former.
Bammit looks briefly askance at Hinrick while continuing to examine the bag, smacking his lips thoughtfully.
"Mm. Not bad workmanship at all, I'll grant. Tell you what, my merry friend, for our three silver, pray give us four bags and tell me where I can find whatever it is you're drinking."
Hinrick brightens at Omar's explanation. "Ah, you mean pig fat!" He chortles loudly again, and puts away the remaining bags. "You have a fine eye for skin bags, my sword-wielding friend." Turning to Bammit, "... and you for grog! Here..." Hinrick grabs a couple of empty mugs from a box under the table, and walks into his hut. You hear clattering of boxes before he emerges with the mugs splashing with the same liquid. "Have a drink on me, if only you promise to give your honest opinion." Hinrick looks serious for the first time since you met him, and he leans forward in anticipation of your first sip.
DM: The grog (it does contain quite a lot of alcohol) is different from anything you've ever tried, and as such, is not going to fit everyone's taste. Roll less than your Constitution with a D20, and you aren't bowled over by the strong sweet taste, and find the drink palatable. If you roll less than half of your constitution, you actually find the drink quite good. Otherwise, you are going to have a hard time hiding your dislike of the flavor.
I found this recipe, though I doubt it is identical to Hinrick's brew:
Grog
1 shot rum
1 teaspoon sugar (preferably superfine)
Squeeze of lime juice
Cinnamon stick
Boiling water
Stir all ingredients, adding enough boiling water to fill mug or glass.
Bammit's eyes twinkle, and he chuckles with delight as he's handed the mug. First he sniffs at it with furrowed brows. Then, after a few thoughtful, monosyllabic grunts, he takes a short swig. Another grunt, and he takes a longer one. Then he takes an honest gulp and "ahhhhhhhh"s with delight.
(I rolled well under half his CON.)
Looking at Hinrick happily, he says, "By Khagryt's beard, this kicks snow all over mead! What did you say it was called again?"
(That recipe for grog sounds grand! I'm going to have to try it!)
Hinrick claps with glee and howls once like a wolf (rather a strange display). "For you my friend, and but a copper more, I'll throw in a jug of grog for the road, though be warned, it may dull your senses some." (DM: I doubt it will have much effect on a Dwarf, but Hinrick doesn't know that!)
Sorry for the delay. I was waiting to hear from Snabby whether he had more in mind for his planned adventure. Since I don't know what lies on the road ahead, neither does Hinrick! Since its only supposed to be two days to Grabenhorst, I imagine the road will turn eastward....
Snabby did say that he might write something up tonight...
Hinrick frowns at Omar's decision to not drink his grog, but then smiles with a nod. "Aye, I can respect that. Still, you don't even know what you are missing." He shakes his head briefly in remorse, as he swigs down a few gulps of what was to be Omar's mug.
Wiping his mouth with the back of his arm, and running his fingers through his hair, Hinrick stands tall and looks Omar in the eye. "The road north? Not much north 'cept a bunch of sea rats. You're going to want to head east at the first fork in the path, and that will take you straight into Grabenhorst. Shouldn't be more than a few hours 'till you start seeing the town." Hinrick sighs, but stays quiet.
Bammit pays the three silver from his belt pouch (might as well since he still has Omar's bag o' coins in his pack) and tosses in the copper, too.
He muffles his belch behind his fist and says, "Pleasure doing business with you, friend." Then his face becomes more serious. "You seem troubled, friend. Is there something about the town we should know about?"
Hinrick slams his fist down on the table, and then visibly calms himself. "Damned town keeps getting bigger, with no respect for the beauty of the land. One day, even these trees will come down to make room for a house or a road." With a sad look on his face, Hinrick guestures at the trees bordering the village.
He shakes his head, and then forces a smile, "Sorry friend, don't mean to unload on you. Here's your skin bags, and your grog. Just in time too..."
He says the last just as Flen, Anna, and some other villager (the young man with the stick that greeted you at the village entrance) arrive at Hinrick's shop, carrying the preserved fruit.
"Sheesh, you guys going to talk all day?", Flen grumbles, wiping some sweat off his brow. Flen looks at the newly purchased bags, and grabs one. "Hmmm, these will work." Taking the smallest one for himself, he starts loading the fruit into the bag.
Rhiannon, who seemed to vanish on entry to the village, appears again just as suddenly. In her hair is a local flower, and she has a pouch of what appear to be fresh herbs at her side. She smiles at the group, but otherwise says nothing.
Bammit says quietly, "I don't think we should wear out our welcome. If there's no inn in town, we should proceed. It is getting to be late in the day, and Hinrick said it's a few hours to Grabenhorst. If you don't think we can keep up the pace to make it there before nightfall, we could always make camp near the fork in the road and take it easy tonight. Then we can roll into to town first thing in the morning and have the full day to use."
Hinrick looks confused for a moment, and then bellows out laughter, startling Rhiannon out of her normally cool composure.
"Ho ho ho ho ho!! Sea rats aren't critters!" Hinrick tries hard to contain more laughter. "I was referrin' to the folk that have chosen to make that part of the shore their home. You'll not even see their skinny little tails if you turn east where I told ya." Hinrick chuckles a bit more at his own joke while shaking his head.
Anna watches Hinrick with a sparkle in her eye. Addressing the group, "You are welcome to stay here if you wish, though may I suggest you stay outside the village itself? You'll be safe enough outside, and it will keep the older villagers happy."
Hinrick nods his head. "That's true enough Anna, though I think these folk would be happier in Grabenhorst tonight. At least there you may find the weapon shoppe you are looking for, my muscular non-drinking friend."
DM - The sun is still fairly high in the sky (probably like 2pm), so assuming Hinrick's estimate of 2 hours into Grabenhorst is accurate, you should be able to get there easily before nightfall. Not saying you should or shouldn't, however. :)
Flen finishes distributing the fruit in the packs, and slings one across his back with a grunt.
"Well, I guess regardless of what we are going to do, we should move out."
"Right," says Bammit smartly. He balances his belt pouches and his pack, hefts his bag over his shoulder, thumps the butt of his mace on the ground, and says, "If there's nothing more here, we'll be off, then!"
He takes a step or two away and then stops. Turning back to Hinrick, he says, "I don't believe I've gotten the jug of grog I paid for yet. We could probably also do with a bite of lunch, too." He glances around. "If there's no inn or tavern around here, we can get something from one of these merchants. Then I recommend we make for Grabenhorst with due speed."
Hinrick grins broadly, "Yes, of course, how could I forget!" Hinrick steps quickly into the hut, and the clattering of boxes is heard again. He emerges with a large jug of grog secured in a small net, and hands it over to Bammit. "This should make it easy to pack on the outside of your load, if you wish easy access...", he says with a wink.
"If anyone asks where you got that drink, tell them Hinrick hooked you up!" Hinrick laughs again, though the source of mirth eludes the group.
Anna begins walking towards her fruit stand, and gestures to the group to follow her. "I have a mix of nuts and berries you can carry with you on the road. It should tide you over until you get to Grabenhorst, anyway."
Flen's stomach grumbles at the sound of food, and he is quick to be on her heels.
Post a Comment